Lucchese crime family capo Carmine Avellino has turned down a government plea deal and will take his chances in court, the New York Daily News reported yesterday. Avellino is alleged to have loaned one debtor $100,000 and then ordered his mob associates to threaten him when he didn’t make his payments.
The Lucchese family associates in question have already pleaded guilty. Brothers Daniel and Michael Capra took their since deceased cousin along for the job. They are now looking at 24 to 30 months in prison.
Despite taking the plea deal, the Capra brothers refused to give up any information on Avellino. Michael Capra was asked by prosecutors to give up some information, but claimed he didn’t know anything about a loan being extended by the 72-year-old Mafia captain.
Avellino’s trial is scheduled for August 22 in Brooklyn Federal Court.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia at Gangsters Inc.'s news section.
Follow Gangsters Inc. on Twitter
Like Gangsters Inc. on Facebook
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- EXCLUSIVE: Gotti film crew gets together, new cast members revealed
- The Evil That Men Do: The Murder of Robert Kubecka & Donald Barstow
- $15 million drug ring led by New York Mafia families busted
- Basta! How Sicily's Antimafia movement fights Cosa Nostra
- INTERVIEW: Former mob boss John Gotti Junior sits down with Gangsters Inc.
- Cosa Nostra boss of bosses Bernardo Provenzano dead at 83
- Italian mob boss talks about 'Ndrangheta's global reach
- Santo Trafficante: Building the Family Business
- Ten Must-Visit Mob Bars and Lounges
- Sound of Silence: How the Sicilian Mafia communicates
- My loving dad was a gangster and Bugsy Siegel's close friend
- The American Mafia bets on the world and wins big
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- The humble origins of Lucky Luciano and Joe Masseria
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
- Top 5 of true stand up wiseguys
- Cops make the deadliest Mafia hitmen
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.