Stefano Sollecito was granted bail yesterday after a Superior Court judge ruled he could not receive adequate treatment for his cancer in prison. 48-year-old Sollecito is the alleged current leader of the Montreal Mafia and is facing serious drug trafficking charges.
While at it, the judge also ruled that Sollecito’s codefendant, Leonardo Rizzuto, should remain behind bars as he awaits trial. Leonardo is the 47-year-old son of deceased Mafia boss Vito Rizzuto, who dominated the Montreal underworld for decades along with his father Nick, who fell victim to a sniper as he sat in the kitchen of his home.
Though granted bail, Sollecito is required to be home 24 hours a day and can only leave for medical reasons, the Montreal Gazette reports.
Sollecito and Rizzuto were rounded up in November of last year and charged with running a massive cocaine trafficking network with Hells Angels and street gangs.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia at Gangsters Inc.'s news section.
Follow Gangsters Inc. on Twitter
Like Gangsters Inc. on Facebook
Check out our photo gallery.
Check out our video section.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- INTERVIEW: John Gotti Jr. sits down with Gangsters Inc.
- The Canadian Connection: Flooding the U.S. with dope
- Murder of mob boss Rocco Zito: Hit or domestic dispute
- Montreal Mafia boss Arcadi to be released from prison soon
- Six plead guilty in murder of ex-Bonanno mob boss
- My loving dad was a gangster and Bugsy Siegel's close friend
- Montreal mobster caught with 62 kilos of cocaine in Arizona
- The American Mafia bets on the world and wins big
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- Sicilian Mafia travel guide reveals island's underworld
- The humble origins of Lucky Luciano and Joe Masseria
- Give a Man a Gun: The story of Carmine DiBiase
- The scoop on the man who brought down Genovese
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
- Top 5 of true stand up wiseguys
- Cops make the deadliest Mafia hitmen
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.